Protecting Yourself Against Falls This Winter
Winter weather strikes the right tone for the holidays but can wreak havoc in the aftermath. Snow-covered sidewalks, icy outdoor walkways, and wet floors inside stores and office buildings all pose serious risks. Fall injuries are a common hazard at this time of year and can impact the health and security of victims for long afterward. Our Maryland personal injury attorneys offer tips to help reduce the risks and explains what to do if a fall happens.
Reducing Winter Falls Risks In Maryland
Slip and fall accidents resulting in serious personal injuries in Maryland can happen at any time of the year but are particularly common during the winter months. Treacherous outdoor conditions and winter weather brought indoors through heavy winds or people’s shoes significantly increase accident risks.
During the winter, when snow, ice, and freezing rain make any activity more difficult, take extra precautions to reduce your fall risks. The Mayo Clinic recommends the following tips:
- Be aware of winter hazards: Watch out for shiny spots on sidewalks, avoid walking through snowbanks, and be particularly cautious near building entrances and exits, where water and slush are likely to accumulate.
- Wear the appropriate footwear: Wearing low-heeled footwear with extra traction and non-slip soles helps reduce fall risks.
- Give yourself extra time: Avoid rushing, be mindful of where you are walking, and allow spare time to reach your destination.
- Do the ‘penguin walk’: Modify how you walk during winter weather, taking smaller steps with a broader gait.
- Acknowledge personal fall risks: If you are on certain medications, have mobility issues, or suffer low vision or other health issues, you may be at an increased fall risk.
Protecting Yourself When A Fall Happens
To protect your health and your rights in filing a premises liability claim in Maryland, take these steps if a winter fall happens:
- Report it immediately to the property owner, onsite security, or the police;
- Make sure an accident report is completed and documents the situation, as well as your injuries;
- Get contact information for everyone involved, including witnesses, and if possible, take pictures at the scene;
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, regardless of the severity of your symptoms.
Get Our Maryland Personal Injury Attorneys On Your Side
If you fall this winter, do not downplay the situation. Slips and falls in Maryland can cause broken bones, torn muscles or tendons, and potentially severe back, neck, or head injuries. To get the compensation you need to recover, get Berman | Sobin | Gross LLP on your side. Call or contact us online and request a consultation with our experienced Maryland personal injury attorneys today.