Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Maryland Workers' Compensation Attorneys > Blog > Auto Accidents > How to Protect Yourself from Uninsured Motorists

How to Protect Yourself from Uninsured Motorists


According to the Insurance Information Institute, 14.1% of Maryland drivers were uninsured in 2019.  In the District of Columbia, 19.1% of drivers were uninsured, which is nearly 1 in 5 drivers.  So, what can you do to protect yourself in the event you are injured in a car accident by an uninsured driver?

You should insure your own vehicle with uninsured motorist (UM) coverage that is higher than the Maryland minimum of $30,000.00 per person, and $60,000.00 per accident.  Oftentimes, this is not enough coverage to cover your losses.

For example, let’s say you are a Maryland motorist and your UM coverage is only the Maryland minimum limit of $30,000.00 per person, and $60,000.00 per accident.  You are driving your car with your spouse and two children as passengers, when an uninsured driver rear ends your vehicle and causes you and your family to suffer serious bodily injuries.  You then file a UM claim with your own insurance company.  If you only have a minimum policy of $30,000.00/$60,000.00, the maximum amount of money that any one person involved in the accident can recover is $30,000.00, and the maximum amount that your insurance would potentially pay for the entire accident is $60,000.00.

This is extremely problematic.  It is highly possible that your total damages could exceed $30,000.00, leaving you in a financial mess of mounting medical bills.  To combat situations such as this, you should carefully examine your own auto policy and seriously consider raising your uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) coverage limits, so that you and your family are adequately insured.

Although you cannot control whether other motorists are insured, you have complete control over what coverage limits you purchase on your own policy to protect you and your family against uninsured motorists.  So don’t delay.  Look at your Declarations Page or coverage amounts on your auto policy.  Are you driving around with a minimum UM policy?

Have you been injured in a motor vehicle collision?  Call personal injury attorney Jaclyne Kartley at BSG LLP today for a free consultation at 301-740-3313.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn