Frederick Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Maryland loses about one hundred people in motor vehicle collisions with pedestrians each year. Many others suffer severe injuries in these crashes. Of course, when it comes to pedestrian accidents, the victims are far more vulnerable than others involved in such crashes. As such, the chances of serious harm are particularly high. Data indicates that 92 percent of those struck by cars in Maryland were either injured or killed as a result.
We should all be concerned with keeping pedestrians safe. After all, each of us is a pedestrian, at least some of the time. It is also important to understand that these crashes do not need to happen. Pedestrians are often injured and killed in incidents caused by careless and even reckless drivers.
The most likely place for drivers to be involved in pedestrian crashes is in an urban environment, outside of an intersection, after dark. When driving in such places, motorists should be using extra caution to ensure that they are not putting people’s lives at risk. For instance, if visibility is low and a person is driving in a heavily populated area, that driver should never speed, as doing so would put other people in danger.
Studies suggest that America has a pedestrian crash problem, fueled in part by our love for large cars. SUVs are more likely to injure and kill pedestrians and are causing a rise in tragic pedestrian crashes.
If you suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident in Frederick, contact Berman | Sobin | Gross LLP today at 301-668-2100 to learn how we can help you. Our Frederick pedestrian accident attorneys know how devastating these crashes are and will work to recover compensation for your injuries.
Why Pedestrian Crashes Take Place in Frederick, Maryland
Pedestrian accidents are common in America in part because we have a car-centric culture. In major cities in Europe, successful Vision Zero campaigns highlight the fact that pedestrians can be safe on city streets. Improvements to infrastructure could help, and so could improvements to vehicle technology, such as pedestrian crash prevention systems.
While there may be ways to keep foot traffic safe in the future, most of the responsibility currently lies with drivers. Sadly, many motorists make mistakes and poor choices that result in devastating consequences for others on the road.
Some common reasons that cars strike people include:
- A driver attempting to turn checked for oncoming vehicle traffic but not for people crossing the road. In these cases, the pedestrian may even have a walk sign, as is often the case when cars are trying to make a left turn. The driver is looking at the signal and the oncoming cars and fails to remember the pedestrian’s right-of-way.
- A driver is distracted by his or her phone or some other distraction and fails to see a person crossing the road or walking on the side of the road. To avoid such tragedies, it is important to remind drivers that they are obligated to share the road with pedestrians. In many places, pedestrians do not have sidewalks and are forced to walk in the street. Drivers should give these people space.
- A driver was speeding and could not stop in time to avoid striking the pedestrian. In such incidents, it is important to remember that speeding is illegal for a reason: it is dangerous. In an emergency, a speeding driver will not have time to react. Also, at high speeds, the results of a crash are far worse than at lower speeds.
- A driver is traveling on dark roads and not looking out for pedestrians. In these cases, speed is also often a factor. Drivers should not travel too fast when they are unable to see the road ahead.
In any of these cases, the pedestrian may have a claim against the driver. If you were injured in a pedestrian crash, call an experienced Frederick, Maryland attorney today to discuss your claim.
Negligence Laws in Frederick, Maryland
In Maryland, the courts will not divide liability between the plaintiff and the defendant. If the plaintiff is in part liable for his or her injuries, then the court will not allow that person to recover damages. This policy is not the case in most states, and it is more challenging here for plaintiffs to make their claims. Still, many pedestrians can succeed in claims against drivers who caused their injuries. To learn more about your legal options, contact an experienced Frederick, Maryland attorney.
What Compensation Can I Collect in My Frederick, Maryland Case?
If you were injured in a pedestrian accident in Frederick, Maryland, you might be able to recover compensation for the following:
- Medical costs associated with your injuries (past and future)
- Lost wages and earnings (past and future)
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
The amount of compensation will vary depending on the facts of your claim.
Call Berman | Sobin | Gross LLP Today After a Pedestrian Accident in Frederick
Call Berman | Sobin | Gross LLP today at 301-668-2100 to discuss your claim with a dedicated Frederick, Maryland pedestrian crash attorney.